– 4 ounces of lean beef sirloin, thinly sliced
– 4 ounces of ground beef or turkey, made into little balls
– 1 cup of napa cabbage, chopped
– 2 cups of low-sodium, fat-free beef broth
– 2 star anise pods
– 1/2 cup of fresh cilantro
– 1 cinnamon stick or 1/2 tsp of cinnamon powder
– 1 teaspoon of soy sauce
– 1 teaspoon of olive oil
– 1 teaspoon of white vinegar
– 1/4-inch piece ginger, unpeeled, halved
– Ideal salt or kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
– 2 scallions
– 3/4 cup of bean sprouts
– 1/4 cup of white onions, thinly sliced
– PAM spray
1. Place a medium pot over high heat. Season meat and meatballs with salt and pepper.
2. Spray some PAM and sear all the meat (2 minutes per side), then transfer to a plate. Make sure the meatballs are seared all around.
3. Add ginger to the pot and cook for about 2 minutes.
4. Add the broth, 1 cup of water, the star anise and cinnamon, reduce the heat and simmer about 12 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, thinly slice the scallions and tear the cilantro.
6. Add the soy sauce, olive oil, meats, napa cabbage, cilantro, and vinegar to the broth and boil for 5 minutes. Discard the ginger, star anise, and cinnamon stick.
7. In a bowl, place the onions, top with the broth, beef, scallions, bean sprouts, and jalapeños if desired.